Okay so yeah I haven't passed my test yet, I've only just found a new instructor and she's ace. She has a second mirror for me that she places so I can see her face, so I can basically lipread through the mirror rather than completely taking my eyes off the road to see her face. I'm way more comfy in this car (ford fiesta) compared to what I was learning in before, a suzuki swift, so yay! But in all honesty I wouldn't choose the fiesta for my own car b/c of one main reason - moving the seat close enough to be able to actually use the foot pedals brings me so close that I can literally rest my elbows on the steering wheel. So I can deal with that for a few lessons. (I'll take my test again, I'll sodding pass it, and then find the chicken who ruined my first attempt and cook the fuck out of the feathery little bastard).
Also... I've only got 6 weeks left at college. 3 of those are my easter holidays (as of last Friday afternoon) so I know there's no chance I'll be taking my test and passing it before then. Maybe a good thing, cos it means I have all summer to practice driving alone before taking the scaryscary drive to college all on my own (and then the fun begins with finding a parking space... even WITH my blue badge!) Yet even more incensitive to pass is to just ditch the taxis. Wednesday afternoon was my last taxi ride till I'm back at college. To say it was a disaster is putting it lightly. I'll break it down...
- 30 mins late, he picks me up from college (I'm not being picky here, just pointing it out - I was in Newcastle, which is basically drowning in these taxis, and on average I can get picked up within 5 mins max)
- He reads my address, and headed straight for Durham. Ignoring the part of my address that says Consett which is in the complete opposite direction (Durham is the county I live in, I don't live in the centre)
- He pulls out his a-z map(!) and sets off
- Why he didn't have a sat nav is beyond me. But then again most taxi drivers ignore the sat nav yelling at them to take which ever turns and usually miss my house completely, resulting in me pointing them the way for minimum 3 consecutive corners up to my house
- I start to realise that I don't recognise the direction he's going (there's several routes and I don't know them all)
- He asks me which is the best way to go..! To which I replied I've never been this direction before
- More to the point he's heading for Durham, and I live in CONSETT!!!
- (big difference)
- He pulls into a garage and asks for directions
- Finally gets into his head that he's supposed to head for consett, and goes the right way. I start to recognise the places and can point him the right direction when he starts to get lost again
- Eventually get home after about an hour, when the journey should have taken 25 mins. A very pissed off me tells him to get a sat nav for future reference, and saaaaaalams the door when getting out.
- So he spends 15mins on the phone talking to whoever. If it's the taxi firm he works for, complaining about me, then I'll give as good as I'll get b/c what he did was dangerous, stupid, and a little bit thick.